EMPLOYEE SAFETY "DO's & DON'Ts" CHECKLIST
DON'T Do These Things!
- Leave cords, boxes and other materials in aisles.
- Block emergency exits.
- Use extension cords unless necessary.
- Overload electrical outlets.
- Leave combustible trash in open containers.
- Leave containers of chemicals open.
- Carry loads you cannot see over.
- Smoke in unauthorized areas.
Safety Things to DO
- KNOW WHO TO CONTACT AND WHERE TO GO IN AN EMERGENCY
- Know where fire extinguishers and first-aid kits are kept.
- Use a ladder or step stool, rather than stand on furniture or boxes, to reach high places.
- Report slippery or uneven floor surfaces, torn carpet or linoleum.
- Keep file drawers and desk drawers closed.
- Stack cartons and supplies carefully so they won't fall.
- Be sure file cabinets aren't top-heavy.
- Report/replace electrical cords when insulation frays.
- Report poor lighting or missing handrails on stairs.
- Make sure electrical plugs match their outlets.
- Put materials and papers away when not in use.
- Check container labels and material safety data sheets before using office chemicals.
- Be careful with knife cutters, razor blades, scissors, and other pointed objects that could cause injuries.
- Check that fire extinguishers are inspected regularly.
- Use dollies and similar equipment to move large or heavy items.
- Use proper lifting techniques that let the legs, not the back, do the work.
- Make sure your computer workstation is properly adjusted.
PLEASE NOTE: Workplace safety concerns
should be directed on-line through the
Workplace Safety Hazard REPORTING FORM
or the CASD Maintenance Department work order system.
Hazards requiring immediate attention should be
COMMITTEE MEMBERS Jeff Kavelak, Chairman